2008年12月10日星期三

家乐福 Carrefour and more...

I went to Carrefour today with Daniel and SiYu!!! I ended up spending 600Y (about $100) but in my defense I bought a space heater (fan style), some more dishes, some western food, shower rod, silverware and more. Buying the space heater was complicated. Not only had I never bought one before, or for that matter, really used one before, but I was also, of course, dealing with the language barrier. But, with the help of about 4 store clerks, I eventually found heater I was happy with for about 120Y. In China buying appliances is made a little easier buy the fact that you can always try them out. Stores always have a test model available to experience. The first week I arrived in Chengdu, I bought my blow-dryer and I was able to try out like 6 different models. It’s very useful!


(All the new food from Carrefour)

After paying for all my items, of which I had a crap-load, we attempted to get a taxi…. Not the easiest thing in the world. All of the ones that went by were already occupied. Plus, we were competing against well seasoned and very experienced Chinese taxi goers. But, eventually Daniel got it done by sneaking in front of a Chinese lady and flagging down a rare empty taxi. That is how the game is played in China!!! We rock! Anyway, we all piled in and I tried not to poke anyone with my new mop or shower rod. ^_^

Chengdu, Bookworm Cafe!
Originally uploaded by Alexandra Lord


After dropping all my new goodies off at my apartment I went to the foreign student’s class building to pick up my bike. Then I plunked around on the computes at Robert’s r for a little bit. Since I don’t have internet yet in my new apartment it was a rare chance. I watched two episodes of Terminator and then sped off into the night!!! No just kidding, at around 7:30 I stopped by at the little store near my apartment and got mayo, oyster sauce, jam, and cornstarch plus a bag of Lays. Nice combination, right??? Then, I had to rush over to West Gate to meet the girls for “Girl’s Night” at the Bookworm.


Chengdu, Bookworm Cafe!
Originally uploaded by Alexandra Lord
The Bookworm is an expat oriented café/library. They have AMAZING CHEESECAKE and, for a fee, you can check out books from their English language library!!! I had not yet eaten dinner so I ordered a ham and cheese sandwich ,which came with a salad, and I also got a slice of cheesecake. It was a little expensive (by my Chinese dinner standards) but fun. It was actually the first salad I’ve had since coming to China! Later, I rode my bike home, put all the things I bought at Carrefour away in their temporary homes. Then, I went to Bed!!!

没有评论: